Sunday 10 May 2015

Willow Rescued from the Rubbish Pile

I found this dejected, unloved and abandoned canvas a couple of weeks ago amongst the elephant grave yard of waste work I have been collecting and rejecting over the last 5 years. Apparently it had fallen behind a cabinet, was retrieved and left covered in dust and cobwebs, perhaps waiting for me to revisit and rescue.


This was largely how it appeared amongst the recycling pile. But why did it reach such a sorry state? I think I was going through a stage of tree denial. This was meant to be the most ambitious tree to date; intricate, challenging for the viewer and a step further towards abstraction. And it just was not working at the time. 

Having decided to emulate the shape of willow trees I see on a daily basis dotted around the Somerset Levels, I used my hand and wrist to give the spread and lean of the pollard. I added another limb to help disguise the basic design. And as the painting developed it just got a bit too intricate and confusing, moving to far from my original vision. So as usual my patience waned, I got bored and frustrated and moved on after dumping it. 

But why shouldn't it be intricate? Why not confusing? Why not challenging? Why not move it on a bit further and use it as a basis for painting motifs I have been storing for later use. So having found it I have been working hard over the last 2 weeks to get it sorted. It is naturally heavily influenced by Klimt, mosaic, textiles. It's also naturally got my own twist. And I have finished it this morning and here it is. A bit of a change I think.


Acrylic paint on box canvas, measuring 16 inches square. Completed on 10th  May 2015.

If you want to buy the original, I will part with it for £250 but not a penny less.

Mounted and canvas prints will also be available very soon. Keep an eye on my website markbetsonartist.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment